04 December 2006

Back in the real world... almost

I've been back in Israel now for four days. While some things have changed quite a bit since I left, others haven't changed a bit...

Changed: My boss is suddenly very nice. It could be that he's afraid of going from five recruiters to one, since there are only two of us left. Hmm. I mean, I know he likes me (afterall, who wouldn't?), but if he were just mean or just nice, life would be so much easier.

Not changed: The Haredim (ultra-orthodox Jews) are ticked off because El Al flew a flight (or some flights -- it's unclear) on Shabbat. This was due to the strike last week -- there were people stuck in Israel and other countries. El Al decided to fly.

Note: I have mixed feelings about this, as well. While El Al has said this was an unusual circumstance and they don't plan to make it a regular thing -- if there is no outcry, they might consider flying on Shabbat regularly. This would mean that El Al employees would be forced to work on the Sabbath, or, in the future, risk not being hired if they are Sabbath-observant.

Changed: There are two new women at work -- one in my department and one down the hall -- who I don't know at all.

Not changed: There are still rockets raining down in the southern part of Israel, and we're still under terror alerts in the rest of the country.

Changed: For 11 months (today), I've worked specifically with the AOL project at my company. For most of this time, I've done most of the interviewing and hiring. We found out yesterday that AOL is probably going to cancel our contract at the end of the year. We have more than 220 people who need jobs now. I was on hand when they were informed... and now I get to try to help them find new jobs. (It appears that AOL is going to close all of its call centers except for the one in India. We may keep a smaller staff, but we're not holding our breath.)

Not changed: I still have jetlag.

I think it's time for bed...

2 Comments:

Blogger benjamin1974© said...

Cool.

Not changed: my roommate.

Changed: my trip in February might happen

Not changed: I still have a cold.

Changed: I will have, soon, my check from work

Not changed: Im still stuck in this place

Changed: My ipod has a new gadget.

Not changed: Im still going to sleep late.

2:17 AM  
Blogger M said...

Not changed: Still jetlagging and not sleeping.

Also not changed: Having a friend who's actually up when I'm jetlagging to talk to and keep me from going more crazy than I already am. Thanks!

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home