12 November 2006

The first day

Way back when I was first learning Hebrew, my teacher explained that the days were named by counting toward Shabbat. So since Saturday is Shabbat, Sunday is then "yom rishon," which means "the first day."

We go on to count "the second day," "the third day," etc., until we get to the seventh day which is usually just said as "Shabbat," although sometimes it's "yom Shabbat."

I work from Sunday-Thursday. Today is Sunday. So I have to make it through five of these counting days before my next day off.

The fifth day seems so far away from the first day... and counting that way just seems a bit too "in your face" for me today. I so don't want to go to work.

Bah. At least I can say I have only seven work days until I leave for a week.

Other events:

-The riots ended when the GLBTQ community decided they'd settle on a rally instead of a parade. The rally was held in a uni stadium with more than 2,000 police officers doing the security.

-I was supposed to go south for Shabbat. On Friday morning, however, I found out that pretty much the whole family is sick... so I decided to stay home and try to stay healthy.

-The U.S. had to save Israel's butt in the U.N. when an unfair resolution was put forward trying to keep us from defending ourselves against random attacks. Oh wait, that's not news.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you never told me what you got for Shabbat meals...
Today is Monday and I have few more days before Shabbat... buah....

4:18 AM  
Blogger M said...

It was a lazy, boring Shabbat... chicken shnitzel, salad, pita and hummus.

But when you will be able to have Shabbat by me... it'll be much more fancy :)

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home