28 February 2007

Grrrrrr

Ya'all remember that project I was working with that was closing? Around 200 people were looking for jobs. Around 50 found jobs inside our company, around 50 were fired as part of the "ramp-down," around 40 are still on the project, and around 60 have left to other pursuits or were fired for other reasons (can we say "fraud?").

The last day of the project was supposed to be tomorrow.

Supposed to be.

But of course on Monday afternoon miraculously AOL decided that maybe, afterall, we could keep around 50-70 people for the next two months.

Did you catch that part in the first paragraph where I said that there are only around 40 people left on the project? By the way, around 20 of them have already made plans for post-project closing.

So we're supposed to make 50-70 out of 20.

How, you might ask, do we do that?

By calling approximately 100 people... people who were fired and told "you're not welcome to apply for other jobs at IDT..." people who left the company because of other jobs, illness, vacations, whatever... and saying to them:

"I'm calling because we just found out yesterday (because of course in all of this no one bothered to inform recruitment until yesterday) that there might be an opportunity to extend AOL for a couple of months. Would you be interested in coming back?" (and, by the way, the pay's gone down, you can only work 4 hours/day if you want evening hours, you have to work on Purim and during Pesach, and you must commit to working for two months.)

So amazingly enough, we got almost a 15% positive response.

But during this phone marathon the Powers That Be from our version of AOL management have been infuriating me by making demands they have no right to make. Demands like "you should stay late because even though your day is supposed to end at 6, I'm going to send you an e-mail at 5:10 demanding that you call 40 people before you leave today and report on the results." Demands like "Even though your IM message clearly states that you are 'away,' I demand that you tell me exactly how soon I'm going to get the list of 100 people you called and what the results were. And even though I fired these people two months ago, I demand that you tell me why they don't want to come back to AOL."

This comes the day after my boss told me and my officemate of over a year that he's separating us... and on the same day, we find out that two projects we've recruited for are not happening, so we have an additional 30 people to find jobs for.

So yeah, all day pretty much my only thought that didn't include foul language was "Grrrrrrr!"

Thank G-d, we have a small gym, and there were women's hours this afternoon. So around 5:25 I told my boss I was going to the gym, and I would be back "later."

An hour and a quarter later, after some serious weightlifting and cardio, I went back upstairs, and things were at least a little bit better.

But I still don't know know where we're gonna get another 15 or whatever people.

Grrrrrrrr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home