09 August 2006

Thanks aren't received well

I had a guy who was supposed to start on my project who left a message for me last week to say he couldn't come, because he had to go up north. He'd been called up for emergency duty.

Today, he called me to say he's sorry, but he's going to be a while, and he just wanted to make sure I'd gotten his message.

I told him I completely understood. Then I told him that he and all the rest of our soldiers up there are in our thoughts and prayers, and I thanked him for all he's doing for the rest of us.

It was like he didn't know how to react.

'Cause here, army is a duty for every citizen. Sure, there are lots of citizens who choose to get out of it, and many who aren't drafted anyway... but outside of the Haredim and Israeli Arabs, most males serve and many females serve.

So if he's just doing his job, why should he be thanked?

As far as I'm concerned, it's exactly because he's doing his job.

There have been some rumblings about people wanting to refuse to return to service for the current war, and I think I read about one person who refused to join the battle. But for the most part, people are ready and willing to go kick some butt in order to protect our sliver of land and the lives within it.

And every time I talk to one of those who've left their families and their jobs to fight for my right to sit here in Jerusalem and play on my computer peacefully, I'm thanking him or her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home