06 August 2006

Waiting for the names

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154525814086&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

When I read this article earlier, it didn't have the same headline. Now it says the 12 killed were reserve soldiers.

This afternoon, I wondered out loud why people were gathered outside. Now I know -- they were reserve soldiers gathering, not just people who had cabin fever from being trapped inside their bomb shelters.

Now, as I personally know at least half a dozen soldiers who've been called up for emergency orders, know the wives of at least half a dozen more, and know the names of another dozen, I'm filled with apprehension at finding out the names of those killed.

And it's going to stink either way. If they're people I know, or who are related to or friends of people I know, it means being sad, maybe going to a funeral or two, and/or some shiva houses.

And if they're not people I know, then I'll be one of those feeling guilty about being relieved.

Like I said: It's going to stink either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home