02 April 2009

The towel didn't work :(

And here I was, innocently hoping that I could avoid some sort of political post in the days coming up to Pesach. Nope, no such luck.

Today a terrorist with an axe attacked a 13-year-old boy and a 7-year-old boy. He murdered the 13-year-old, and the 7-year-old needs surgery.

The 13-year-old died in front of his family.

It happened in a community not far from Jerusalem. It happens to be in a community where my former flatmate is the housemother of a women's learning seminary, and where most of my friends have learned either in the seminary or in the men's yeshiva at some point or another.

So, like in every attack, there's this breath-stopping fear that happens when we hear of it. Do I know someone who was killed? Do I know that boy's parents? His siblings?

In this case, no.

And every time that happens, the immeasurable guilty feelings at being thankful it wasn't someone I knew follow moments behind.

Then the guilt passes, and it's followed with sorrow and anger.

I cannot even begin to imagine the pain being felt by this child's family. My heart is torn in pieces thinking about it.

And yeah, I am furious. Gut-clenching, stop-breathing mad. But, like, I don't even know who all to be mad at anymore. The Arab terrorists? The terrorist-loving society that breeds and fosters anger and hatred? My own government, for not having the guts and belief to stand up for our land? The people who voted in our government? The world for pushing us to do things they have no business pushing us to do? G-d, for allowing this suffering to continue? Myself, for not doing more, not being more proactive politically, not davening harder?

All of the above and more.

G-d should comfort this boy's family, and give Yair Tuvia ben Michal a fast and full recovery. And G-d should have compassion on all of Am Yisrael and stop the suffering already. Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home