17 January 2009

When is a cease fire not a cease fire?

When it's a "cease fire" with Hamas.

Apparently, my government had decided upon a "unilateral cease fire." Um, okay. What's that?

According to what I can figure out right now, only a few minutes after the official announcement was made/explained, it's something like this:

My government can no longer handle the international pressure from the naive, at best, or antisemitic, at worst, people who are calling for Israel to stop the war.

So we'll say we're going to stop attacking -- unless they attack us first.

Now, if we keep in mind that even during the three-hour humanitarian "cease fires" that we've had over the last week or so, Hamas has attacked during nearly all of them, the chances are fairly small that Hamas is now suddenly going to raise the white flag and chill out.

So our army will maybe no longer have the approval to go searching for tunnels and terrorists to destroy them, because once again, in case you didn't catch it the first time, there's a unilateral cease fire going to happen.

But our soldiers will stay in Gaza, waiting to be attacked, and when they get attacked, they'll fight back.

I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding this... but meanwhile it's past my bedtime, so I'm going to hope there's just a better explanation by tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I called one of the chessed organizations the other day to request a name of an Israeli soldier who would like prayers said on his behalf -- I got Chen ben Faygie. (Ch as in chhhhhh, not "chop")

In traditional Judaism, when we daven for someone, we say the person's name, and we say he or she is the son or daughter of, and we say the mother's name. So in this case, my soldier is Chen, which means "grace," and his mother's name is Faygie.

So about a gagillion times a day, I daven for the safety and wellbeing of Chen ben Faygie and all of the other soldiers and people putting their lives on the line for Am Yisrael.

I'll be happy when the war's over IF, and only IF, the war will actually be over.

We'll see what happens...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home