04 January 2009

No fridge, and other war updates

So my fridge died last week. I ordered a new one with the help of a co-worker. It was supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

But I got a call today that in fact, no, there will be no fridge tomorrow. See, the storage place is at the port -- which is currently closed because of the war.

I was mean to the lady before she told me about the war part... then I just felt bad. Really, except for the fact that I have to keep my soymilk on the windowsill, I manage just fine without a fridge.

It's a freakin' appliance.

People are missing their brothers/sons/grandsons/fathers/cousins/friends/etc., right now. My fridge? SO not a big deal.

On my way to work this morning, I noticed a lot of busses, but I didn't pay so much attention. Then I passed an elementary school and saw around 50 or so soldiers sitting on the playground, and then I noticed the handwritten sign on the fence announcing the name of the unit. These were soldiers being called away from their regular lives to go on war duty.

My daily prayers took a pretty serious turn after that.

Weirdly, it seems that no one from my office has been called up yet. At my last job, by the second day of the ground war I knew at least 25 people who'd been called up. Granted, there is a significant difference in the size of the workplaces -- this one is approximately 60, while my other was 800ish. But this one is more than 50 men (there are only 8 or 9 women in my company), and I think all of them are young enough to be in the reserves. I'da thunk that at least one or two would be called up. I imagine if the war goes on very long, they will be.

And it's a hard call as to whether to want the war to go on or not. The fact is that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of tunnels running in and out of Gaza. Some of the tunnels are actually big enough that they run cars through them for smuggling.

These tunnels need to be eliminated. Now. And without just going in and bunker busting everything, and just flattening the entire place, it's going to mean a significant ground war.

(Not that I'm 100% averse to the former, mind you. Even my left-wing, softy side is wondering why we need to sacrifice OUR citizens, because their citizens decided to vote a terrorist regime into power. Alas, as Jews and Israelis, we do not sink to that level of doing what's safest, because we believe that what's safest isn't necessarily what's right.)

We lost our first soldier of this current war today. A 22-year-old from Jerusalem. His burial will take place in about an hour.

Please, G-d, let him be the last one we lose. Protect our soldiers. Give courage and strength to any "moderates" that may actually exist within Gaza, so THEY will do what's right. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home