16 July 2008

The Sorrows....

I hadn't realized how much hope I had still been holding onto, that one of our soldiers might still be alive.

I hadn't realized how mournful I would feel when I found out they were both gone from this world.

I hadn't realized how angry I would feel when it became clear that one of the soldiers had been dead since the attack itself, and that Hizbullah made it TWO YEARS without ever, ever giving a clue as to the life or death of the soldiers.

For two years, these families, and this entire country, have hoped and prayed for Eldad and Ehud's safe return. We understood the possibility of their deaths, but we hoped and prayed anyway.

I don't understand how the world allows monsters to play by their own rules, catering to their whims, and yet won't "let" us play by the rules G-d gave the world.

The world doesn't make sense.

The soldiers are in a better place. I truly believe they were martyrs for the Jewish people, and they are serving G-d now from a more comfortable existence.

I am relieved for their families, because now they have a final answer... Karnit Goldwasser, Ehud's wife, will have the ability to re-marry if she chooses.

But I am sad... very sad. My heart hurts for their families and for the people of Israel.

And I am proud. Because as angry and sad as I am, I am proud that once again, we have maintained human dignity and not allowed ourselves to sink to the level of the monsters.

Please, G-d, bring us to a place of happy occasions once again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maureen, I knew you when you were still in diapers. I love your parents. I agree with you in that Old Jerusalem is the Center of the world. I love it there and hope to some day go back and take my children, now all adults. Next time you talk to your parents, tell them Nancy Foster says hi. Had hoped to see them in early July. God Bless.

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home