10 March 2008

Interesting quandry

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1204546441616&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Apparently it's a custom of the Muslims to have a mourning tent when someone in their family dies. They put up pictures of the deceased and friends and family come by to comfort them. I guess it's similar to Shiva, the initial seven-day mourning period observed by the immediate family of Jews.

We both have food ready to give guests, including sweets.

It's hard to imagine a Jewish family flying a Kach flag above their home during this time, but I guess it could happen. (Kach is the political movement inspired by Meir Kahane, a right-wing extremist... who, I must say, had some pretty good ideas along with all the ones most people tend to despise.) Though there's even a difference there, as this *IS* Israel, and therefore Kach is not calling for the destruction of the Jewish State.

So after the murderer who killed eight innocent civilians on Thursday night, including some teenage boys, and wounded others, was shot and killed, members of his family set up a mourning tent in East Jerusalem. According to the father of the murderer, he himself did not put up the Hamas flags, but on the other hand, he had to be asked by police to take them down.

One of his uncles tried to set up a mourning tent in Jordan... but Jordanian authorities made him take it down.

Now it's a quandry for many Israelis. Many see it as disgusting that here in Israel we're allowing the family to have their mourning tent, while "even" Jordan won't allow it.

From my point of view, I look at it in the same way I see flag burning in America. I would never burn a flag, and I don't approve of others doing it either, but I defend the right itself to do it. It's part of living in something resembling a democracy.

It's still hard to swallow. This disgusting person has now cast suspician on all East Jerusalemites. It will be a long time before we feel we can trust them again in any way, shape or form. It will add to the discrimination against Arabs, and not without good reason. How can we trust someone walking into work carrying a box or a bag and not suspect he or she's got a gun inside? Particularly when it doesn't seem as if the family or friends or neighbors of the murderer condemn the act publicly... and instead set up a public tent for visitors... it seems as if they're granting permission for it to happen again.

***

I did 18 kilometers on Friday, or a tad more than 11 miles, including warm-up and cool-down. I followed that up by two trips to the shuk - another mile in total. Later Friday afternoon, I walked to the Old City for Shabbat prayers and dinner, then walked home, adding another 4 miles-ish to the total for the day. All-in-all, around 16 miles for the day.

I was surprisingly un-sore on Saturday and Sunday. There was definitely some muscle tightness and a bit of soreness, but nothing compared to last week. Nice.

Yesterday, however, I was in a meeting with my boss, in his tiny little office, and sitting with one of my legs up on the chair.

After the meeting, I maneuvered my way out of the office and went to take a step -- and stumbled and almost fell, 'cause my foot was asleep. I twisted my foot and ankle a bit.

I stayed off of it for most of the day. I still walked home, but carefully. I gave up my idea of getting some extra exercise in last night, in favor of icing my foot/ankle.

It seems 95% fine today, thank G-d. I'll see how it goes later, 'cause I'm supposed to do about 10k on the dreadmill after work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home